See 9 photos and 1 tip from 105 visitors to Bosquet de la Salle de Bal. They were bordered with high trees and carefully trimmed in cubic forms to resemble rooms with walls of greenery. In 1684, the island was removed and the total number of water jets in the bosquet was significantly reduced. During the winter of 1774–1775, Louis XVI ordered the replanting of the gardens on the grounds that many of the trees were diseased or overgrown and needed to be replaced. In that year, Louis Le Vau designed the Pompe, a water tower built north of the château. [d] However, Frances Buckland provides valuable information that provides an idea of the true cost of the expenditures at Versailles during the time of Louis XIV. In 1671, André Le Nôtre conceived a bosquet – originally christened Salle des Festins and later called Salle du Conseil – that featured a quatrefoil island surrounded by a channel that contained fifty water jets. Louis XVIII had the far end of the south wing of the Cour Royale demolished and rebuilt (1814-1824) to match the Gabriel wing of 1780 opposite, which gave greater uniformity of appearance to the front entrance. , The site of the Palace was first occupied by a small village and church, surrounded by forests filled with abundant game. Exterior of the Grotte de Thétysby Jean Le Pautre, 1672, Interior of the Grotte de Thétysby Jean Le Pautre, 1676, Apollo's horses groomed by two Tritons by Gilles Guérin, ca. Due to storm damage in the park in 1990 and then again in 1999, the Bosquet des Trois Fontaines was restored and reinaugurated on 12 June 2004 (Marie 1968, 1972, 1976, 1984; Thompson 2006; Verlet 1985). With the relocation of the statues from the Grotte de Thétys in 1684, the bosquet was remodeled to accommodate the statues and the Fame fountain was removed. American Friends of Museums in Israel Benefit Auction. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. In the case of the Grandes Eaux – when all the fountains played to their maximum – more than 10,000 m3 of water was needed for one afternoon's display.  The suite was dismantled and covered over after the relationship ended in 1684. Other resolutions: 180 × 240 pixels | 360 × 480 pixels | 576 × 768 pixels | 768 × 1,024 pixels | 2,112 × 2,816 pixels. Most significant among the creations at this time were the Versailles Orangerie and the "Grotte de Thétys". Each bosquet had its own theme and fountains, statuary, grottoes, and other decoration. 1693, "Bosquet des trois fontaines-vue du côté" by Jean Cotelle, ca. Originally, this bosquet was planned in 1672 as a simple pavillon d'eau – a round open expanse with a square fountain in the center. The northern bosquet was rebuilt in 1696 as the Bosquet du Dauphin with a fountain that featured a dolphin. After the Revolution, the Trianon served as a residence for both Napoleon I and later for King Louis-Philippe when they visited Versailles. The plot centres on a triangular relationship: the king, his landscape architect and garden Cette salle fut ensuite élargie à un ensemble plus vaste: les salles de Constantine, du Maroc et de la Smalah. Salle des Festins - Salle du Conseil - Bosquet de l'Obélisque [Image] Image (JPEG) Available under Licence Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication. In 1722, when the King came of age, he moved his residence and the government back to Versailles, where it remained until the French Revolution in 1789. Water from the Grand Canal was pumped back to the reservoir on the roof of the Grotte de Thétys via a network of windmill-powered and horse-powered pumps. A monumental painting by Vernet features Louis Philippe himself, with his sons, posing in front of the gates of the Palace. Additionally, a number of the bosquets dating from the time of the Sun King were extensively modified or destroyed. Louis XIV died in 1715, and the young new King, Louis XV, just five years old, and his government were moved temporarily from Versailles to Paris under the regency of Philippe II, Duke of Orléans. The most significant contribution to the gardens during the reign of Louis XVI was the Grotte des Bains d'Apollon. The central painting on the ceiling, by Charles de la Fosse, depicts the Sun Chariot of Apollo, the King's favorite emblem, pulled by four horses and surrounded by the four seasons.  Citing repair and maintenance costs, Louis XVI ordered the Labyrinthe demolished in 1778. In 1792, the Convention, the new revolutionary government, ordered the transfer of all the paintings and sculptures from the Palace to the Louvre. Edging the pool were metal reeds that concealed numerous jets for water; a swan that had water jetting from its beak occupied each corner.  The museum project largely came to a halt when Louis Philippe was overthrown in 1848, though the paintings of French heroes and great battles still remain in the south wing. Formal beds of turf and boxwood outlined by gravel paths to form arabesque patterns were created, faithful to the original designs of Le Nôtre. Parts of the chateau, including the Gallery of Mirrors, were turned into a military hospital. The Palace of Versailles (/ vɛərˈsaɪ, vɜːrˈsaɪ / vair-SY, vur-SY; French: Château de Versailles [ʃɑto d (ə) vɛʁsɑj] (listen)) was the principal royal residence of France from 1682, under Louis XIV, until the start of the French Revolution in 1789, under Louis XVI. Salon d’Apollon or Salle du Trône ,Versailles of course! The growing anger in Paris led to the Women's March on Versailles on 5 October 1789. 1693, "Bassin de Neptune" by Jean Cotelle, ca. Charles Le Brun painted thirty scenes of the early reign of Louis XIV on the ceiling. His son, the future Louis XIII, came on his own hunting trip there in 1607. The new theater was completed in time for the celebration of the wedding of the Dauphin, the future Louis XVI, and Archduchess Marie Antoinette of Austria. (Thompson, 2006), Catherine Pégard, the head of the public establishment which administers Versailles, has stated that the intention is to return the gardens to their appearance under Louis XIV, specifically as he described them in his 1704 description, Manière de Montrer les Jardins de Versailles. Each lobe of the island contained simple fountain; access to the island was obtained by two swing bridges. Image ID: AA1FE6. The Peace of Paris (1783) was signed at Versailles, the Proclamation of the German Empire occurred in the vaunted Hall of Mirrors, and World War I was ended in the palace with the Treaty of Versailles, among many other events. Most of the apartments of the palace were entirely demolished (in the main building, practically all of the apartments were annihilated, with only the apartments of the king and queen remaining almost intact), and turned into a series of several large rooms and galleries: the Coronation Room (whose original volume was left untouched by Louis-Philippe), which displays the celebrated painting of the coronation of Napoleon I by Jacques-Louis David; the Hall of Battles; commemorating French victories with large-scale paintings; and the 1830 room, which celebrated Louis-Philippe's own coming to power in the French Revolution of 1830. Like other royal chapels, it had two levels: the King and family worshipped in the Royal Gallery on the upper level, while ordinary courtiers stood on the ground level. Originally designed in 1671 as two separate water features, the larger – Île du Roi – contained an island that formed the focal point of a system of elaborate fountains. Statues from the Grande Commande of 1674 were relocated to other parts of the garden; two twin octagonal basins were constructed and decorated with bronze statues representing the four main rivers of France. It provided a protected area in which orange trees were kept during the winter months.  Occupying the site of Rondeau/Bassin des Cygnes of Louis XIII, the Apollo Fountain, which was constructed between 1668 and 1671, depicts the sun god driving his chariot to light the sky. Three huge retaining walls divide the South Parterre from the lower parterre (parterre bas) of the Orangerie. André Le Nôtre began transforming the park and gardens of Versailles in the early 1660s. Among the early projects was the repair of the roof over the Hall of Mirrors; the publicity campaign brought international attention to the plight of post-war Versailles and garnered much foreign money including a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. In 1678, an octagonal ring of turf and eight rocaille fountains surrounding the central fountain were added. The King purchased the surrounding territory from the Gondi family and in 1631–1634 had the architect Philibert Le Roy replace the hunting lodge with a château of brick and stone with classical pilasters in the doric style and high slate-covered roofs, surrounding the courtyard of the original hunting lodge. , In 1978, parts of the Palace were heavily damaged in a bombing committed by Breton terrorists. The Dragon Fountain is one of the oldest at Versailles and has the highest jet of water, twenty-seven meters. The empty buildings were turned into a storehouse for furnishings, art and libraries confiscated from the nobility. The grotto was a freestanding structure located just north of the château. ", Friedman, Ann. Vous pourrez, par exemple, accueillir l’ensemble de vos invités dans cet espace en leur proposant une coupe de champagne ainsi qu’un assortiment de pièces de cocktails.. Un écran est aussi mis à votre disposition afin de diffuser les informations que vous désirez ou y faire apparaitre votre logo. ", Weber, Gerold. (Marie 1972, 1975; Nolhac 1901, 1925; Thompson 2006; Verlet 1985), Modifications in the gardens during the third building campaign were distinguished by a stylistic change from the natural esthetic of André Le Nôtre to the architectonic style of Jules Hardouin Mansart. One final attempt to solve water shortage problems was undertaken in 1685. , In addition to the meticulous manicured lawns, parterres, and sculptures are the fountains, which are located throughout the garden. " (Félibien, 1674). These are decorated with smaller works of sculpture, representing the rivers of France, which are placed so as not to interfere with the reflections in the water. 1688, "Le théâtre d'eau-vue de a scène" by Jean Cotelle, ca. It then became grander and more monumental, with the addition of the colonnades and flat roofs of the new royal apartments in the French classical or Louis XIV style, as designed by Louis Le Vau and later Jules Hardouin-Mansart. The fountain was begun in 1670 by Le Nôtre, then enlarged and modified by Hardouin-Mansart in 1686. The Salon of Abundance was the antechamber to the Cabinet of Curios (now the Games Room), which displayed Louis XIV's collection of precious jewels and rare objects. Located west of the Parterre du Midi and south of the Latona Fountain, this bosquet, which was designed by Le Nôtre and built between 1681 and 1683, features a semi-circular cascade that forms the backdrop for this salle de verdure. About the work. Dangeau, Philippe de Courcillon, marquis de. It is this final version of the fountain that one sees today at Versailles. Beyond the surrounding belt of woodland, the gardens are bordered by the urban areas of Versailles to the east and Le Chesnay to the north-east, by the National Arboretum de Chèvreloup to the north, the Versailles plain (a protected wildlife preserve) to the west, and by the Satory Forest to the south. Jump to navigation Jump to search. , Ceiling in the Salon of Apollo, depicting the Sun Chariot of Apollo, Bust of Louis XIV by Bernini in Salon of Diana. With a length of 1,500 metres and a width of 62 metres, the Grand Canal, which was built between 1668 and 1671, physically and visually prolongs the east–west axis to the walls of the Grand Parc.  At the time of its creation, Versailles was transitioning to reflect governmental power and authority instead of a private home for the crown. However, with an eye on economy, Louis XVI ordered the palissades – the labour-intensive clipped hedging that formed walls in the bosquets – to be replaced with rows of lime trees or chestnut trees. , The Latona Fountain underwent a major renovation between 2012 and 2015, which required the removal of its statuary, marble fittings, and lead pipe network for off-site restoration. The attempt to convert Le Nôtre's masterpiece into an English-style garden failed to achieve its desired goal.  The aqueduct was intended to carry water by gravity from a high reservoir near the river, through the gardens of the Château de Maintenon, to Versailles. "Un dessin révèle l'origine d'un marbre antique du parc de Versailles. The Colonnade, as it was renamed, originally featured thirty-two arches and thirty-one fountains – a single jet of water splashed into a basin center under the arch. While this system solved some of the water supply problems, there was never enough water to keep all of the fountains running in the garden in full-play all of the time (Thompson, 2006). ", Lighthart, Edward. It was at the Petit Trianon that Louis XV fell fatally ill with smallpox; on 10 May 1774, the king died at Versailles. Prior to his marriage with Marie-Louise in 1810, he had the Grand Trianon restored and refurnished as a springtime residence for himself and his family, in the style of furnishing that it is seen today. ", Pinatel, Christine. Created in 1670, this bosquet originally contained a central rectangular pool surrounded by a turf border. , One of the most baffling aspects to the study of Versailles is the cost – how much Louis XIV and his successors spent on Versailles. In 1682, the southern bosquet was remodeled as the Bosquet de la Girondole, thus named due to spoke-like arrangement of the central fountain. In the center is The Glory of the Father Announcing the Coming of the Messiah by Antoine Coypel, above the altar is The Resurrection of Christ, and above the royal gallery is The Holy Spirit Descending Upon the Virgin and the Apostles. He did not reside at Versailles, but began the creation of the Museum of the History of France, dedicated to "all the glories of France", which had been used to house some members of the royal family. The most recent replantations of the gardens were precipitated by two storms that battered Versailles in 1990 and then again in 1999.  He decided to rebuild, embellish and enlarge the château and to transform it into a setting for both rest and for elaborate entertainments on a grand scale. The painting on the ceiling, The Apotheosis of Hercules, by François Lemoyne, was completed in 1736, and gave the room its name.. In addition to the Orangerie, the Escaliers des Cent Marches, which facilitated access to the gardens from the south, to the Pièce d'Eau des Suisses, and to the Parterre du Midi were constructed at this time, giving the gardens just south of the château their present configuration and decoration.